Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Listen & Learn

JUST SAY "NO" on NOV 4th!
Like many, I have been surviving the elections and economic crisis with heavy doses of reality-based humour. The Daily show, The Colbert Report, SNL and The Onion have all been preventing me from crying/or having a nervous breakdown on a daily basis. I Really, Really hope Obama wins, and have a glimmer of hope that while he is around that we may just all get through this...

But what, exactly, is "this" ?

I listen to NPR, I read the papers, I listen gladly to the "Liberal Media Elite", but a financial genius, I am (sadly) not. The Election, I get. The economic crisis, not so much. The numbers are just too big, the wheeling and dealing too dizzyingly complex.
"This American Life" put out two broadcasts explaining in an understandable, and actually, downright palatable way what caused the economic collapse, and just what the banks, brokers, lenders, etc were doing all this time. I am still no expert, but I am clearer about what happened. They give an excellent sense of the MAGNITUDE of this crisis, as well: something hard to see as the effects of it are happening Now. I HIGHLY recommend giving these two broadcasts a listen.

They are available online at:
Episode 1 – The Giant Pool of Money (May 08) on the financial debacle - episode 1 , runs about 35 mins. http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=355
Episode 2 – Another Show About the Economy (October 08) - a full, amazing hour!
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1263

Thank you Ira Glass & Co.!
If you did not make a contribution to keep NPR going before, you will after hearing this!
Don't get me wrong, things are still dreadful, but I prefer knowing what the dread is about, rather than that free-floating, anxious not-understanding kind.

Knowledge is Power, kids.
End of message: let's get out there and VOTE and try to make things better.
If we can keep laughing while doing it, so much the better!

No comments: