Saturday, February 18, 2012

Exploded Views

A group show with my work in it, including this site-specific installation "Ligeia", is currently up at the John Slade Ely House in New Haven.

This work is, for whatever reason, quite difficult to capture on film- the light coming from the windows,which in real life is glorious, makes the interior look dark and dingy in photos...
However- here is what I came up with. The work is made of buffalo and sheep wool roving,
and is titled after a story by Edgar Allen Poe, which I have been obsessing about for years.

Ely House is really beautiful without any art in it-full of window seats, diamond paned glass and lovely old woodwork, it's rooms feel rich and full even devoid of furniture.



Here is another, as-of-yet untitled work- marker and pencil on commercially produced tags with copper nails, made during the final days of 2011.

This exhibition was gracefully curated by Paul Clabby, and features the work of several other artists who I am really proud to be showing with -unfortunately, I have no pictures of their work.
All the more reason to catch this show in person before it ends!

Show information:

Exploded Views

works by Aimée Burg, Geoffrey Detrani,
Martha W. Lewis & Mark Wilson

January 15- February 26, 2012
The John Slade Ely House
51 Trumbull St.,
New Haven, CT 06510

www.elyhouse.org

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think it looks great! The photos work just fine and I get a good idea of what it feels like, but I wish I could see it in person! Great job Martha!

m said...

Thanks Jennifer! I guess I am sorry that the light in the photos does not seem more nuanced. In real life the yarn (which is un-dyed) has this pure milky whiteness that glows when the sun hits it. The piece has a complex relationship to the window and the trees outside, which also gets lost.During the opening, it snowed, which was perfect- the diamond window glass, the snowy branches and the expanding wool tornado coming in from the fireplace...
This is somewhat WHY I make installations: they must be seen in person/experienced in real time to truly "get" them, but still, I wish my documentation skill were a bit more sophisticated. When I take it down, that's it: it's gone...

Rosaria Williams said...


What a treat to stop by today,on a whim and find this...