Monday, July 28, 2008

When in Rome...

Head for the park!




I really had only one day to spend there, and I spent this in the Borghese park. A bike race was taking place and everyone, really was there...


After this, I toddled back to the hotel and got ready(Really!) for the President's annual garden party, in the Querinale.


This is hard-to-believe, but true. Some Italian friends were going, and snagged us some invites to go with. This annual event, featuring Romes political elite and some of the holy See's as well,gathers around 2000 guests into the garden. There is music, and food, and amazing people-watching.

I LOVED it. There was SERIOUS jewelry, and some scary cleavage and surgically enhanced looking zombie-types.

There were really, spectacularly beautiful and graceful people in exquisite outfits. there were the powerful, the old and powerful, and the soon-to-be powerful. I even got to sit with the president for a minute.

Silvio Berlusconi was also there, holding court and looking far more embalmed in real life than he does on TV. The whole event was, for me a study in growing older with elegance. As I stumble into middle-age I am increasingly aware of my elders and looking for models.

So:

Helen Mirren, yes, Silvio Berusconi, no.

No obvious trying to look 20, no clownish surgery or botoxing, keep ones face lively, mobile and vivid. This requires wrinkles.

over and out.

1 comment:

T' said...

You've yet to really have to worry about 'aging,' Martha. You're doing fine. You smile and laugh a lot, at least you did that night at the reunion. Life treats you well. And look at you talking to the president! What's with that? Can I know you? Can we drink tea and pat poodles?